About 7 years ago, I stepped back into the field of education and immediately recognized a radical change in this generation of children. Many sound like “little adults” speaking the jargon of Oprah philosophy…sorting through deep emotions, such as depression, anxiety, and fear. They are tech savvy, extremely busy, and exhausted in this fast paced world. In a word, they are so SERIOUS.
As a parent, grandparent, and educator, I implore you to guard your child’s innocence.
- Keep life simple.
- Lavish them with praise, encouragement, and love.
- Guide them through struggles by taking the extra time to help them learn empathy, respect, honesty, honor,…
- Take them to church on a regular basis.
- Don’t rescue them from challenges and hard work — but be present to advise, aid, and encourage them along when times get tough.
- Pray for them AND with them.
- Laugh & play together.
- Set boundaries – learn to say “no” and mean it.
- Be their parent, not their friend.
I’m not saying anything new — but these truths need to be shouted from the rooftops. Our children have been born at a difficult, yet privledged time in history. We can stop the trend of raising a generation of emotional & spiritual anemics. Slow down and make the most of every day opportunities. LOVE your children the way God (not the world) intends you to.